Little things add up, in fighting climate change as in everything else. Here are 5 easy ways to advance sustainability that also give you a bonus benefit.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Elevators typically account for 3-5% of a building’s energy usage. Bonus: You’ll get a nice miniworkout—improving both strength (in your legs) and cardiovascular fitness. Exercise also reduces stress. Double bonus!
- Use a dishwasher instead of hand-washing. It usually saves both water and energy (from heating water), especially if you scrape plates clean first rather than prerinsing, wait till you have a full load, and turn off the heat dry setting. Bonus: While the machine is working, you can spend your time doing something else.
- Use rechargeable batteries. California’s state recycling agency says the average US household uses 47 batteries a year. Instead, you could buy 12 rechargeable batteries every 4-5 years. Single-use batteries usually contain toxic materials and can be hard to recycle. Bonus: You’ll save money, make fewer trips to the store, and clutter up less shelf/drawer space with packs of batteries just sitting there slowly losing juice.
- Give experiences instead of things for birthdays and other special occasions: a home-cooked meal, a day out exploring the city or countryside, a nature hike, even just time spent in conversation. Bonus: You’ll enjoy the same gift you’re giving.
- Use Cloverly for carbon-neutral shipping of your ecommerce purchases. If your favorite online retailers don’t offer that option, request that they do; it doesn’t even cost them anything. Just point them to cloverly.com. Bonus: You’ll feel good knowing that you’re helping to financially support projects that combat climate change. OK, we admit that the bonus is really a sustainability double-dip. If you’re reading this, you’re fine with that, right?
• • •
Carbon Neutral Shipping with Cloverly
Cloverly provides an easy way for ecommerce consumers to purchase carbon offsets and achieve carbon-neutral shipping for their orders, at no cost to the store owner. For details, visit our How It Works page. Shopify store owners can get our Shopify shipping app by clicking here. For our BigCommerce app, click here. If you have a Magento store, click here.